Dr. Filippos Proedrou
This profile is no longer active
Ex-IIR Associate Research Fellow
Sept 2012 - present: Teaching Fellow – American College of Thessaloniki (ACT)
Oct 2009 - present :Teaching Fellow – DEI College (Registered Centre of University of London)
Feb 2014 - present: Visiting Lecturer – International Hellenic University (IHU)
Feb 2008 - Sept 2013: Teaching Fellow–International Faculty of the University of Sheffield
Sept 2011- Sept 2013: Visiting Lecturer – VUZF University
Sept 2009 - Feb 2010: Visiting Lecturer– University of West Macedonia
Feb 2010 - Sept 2010: Research Track Leader – South East European Research Centre (SEERC)
Nov 2004 - Jun 2009: Democritus University of Thrace, Greece - PhD with distinction in International Relations
Thesis Title: ‘EU-Russia energy relations under the prism of interdependence’
Sept 2002 - Sept 2003: University of Warwick, UK - MA in International Relations
Sept 1998 - Sept 2002: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece -BA in Journalism and Mass Media Communication
Greek – mother tongue
English – fluent
German – good command
Spanish – good command
Areas of Interests
Other professional activities
- May 2015 - present: Member of the Board of Directors, Center of International Strategic Analysis (KEDISA)
- Nov 2014 - Sept 2015: Research grant holder for the authorship/ publication of electronic textbook titled ‘Global Politics - Agents, Structures and Processes’ (Research Program Kalliposfunded by Ministry of Greek Education and the EU)
- 2013 & 2014: Research project proposals reviewer for the Czech Science Foundation
- 2010 - present: Papers and Books Reviewer for academic journals
- 2009 - 2012: Abstracts Reviewer for SEERC Doctoral Student Conferences
- (2013): Development and Welfare in the 21st century. The Approach of Ecological Economics and the Case of Greece. Thessaloniki: iWrite.
- (2012): EU Energy Security in the Gas Sector: Evolving Dynamics, Policy Dilemmas and Prospects. Surrey: Ashgate.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2010): The Need to Reform Global Governance. An Introduction to Cosmopolitan Democracy, . Athens: Sideris.
- (2010): Infusing Research and Knowledge in South-East Europe - Proceedings of the 5th Annual South-East European Doctoral Student Conference (co-editor). Thessaloniki: SEERC.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2010): The Democratization of Global Politics. A Debate on Cosmopolitan Democracy. In:Lavdas, C. & Xenakis, D. (eds): Trajectories in the Study of International Relations. Athens:Sideris, pp. 462-493.
- (2010): Russia Energy Strategy towards Europe. In: Karagiannis, M. (ed.): Russia Today: Politics, Economics and Foreign Policy. Athens: Papazisis, pp. 115-147.
Articles in peer-reviewed Journals
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2014): Reinforcing Global Legitimacy and Efficiency: The Case for Strategic Discursive Public Diplomacy. Global Discourse, Vol. 4,No. 1, pp. 1-19.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2013): Global Governance and Cosmopolitan Democracy: Bridging the Gap between Proponents and Opponents. Bridges: Conversations in Global Politics and Public Policy, Vol. 2, No. 1.
- (2013): Re-conceptualizing the Energy and Security Complex in the Eastern Mediterranean. Cyprus Review, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 15-28.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2012): Refocusing Public Diplomacy: The Need for Strategic Discursive Public Diplomacy. Diplomacy and Statecraft. Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 728-745.
- (2010): Ukraine’s Foreign Policy: Accounting for Ukraine’s Indeterminate Stance between Russia and the West. Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies. Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 443-456.
- (2010): Sensitivity and Vulnerability Shifts and the New Energy Pattern in the EU-Russia Gas Trade. Prospects for the Near Future. Brussels Journal of International Relations, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 85-104.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2010): Russia’s Re-emergence in the Global CapitalistSystem: Globalizing or Anti-globalizing Force? Journal of Contemporary European Studies, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 79-91.
- (2007): The EU-Russia Energy Approach under the Prism of Interdependence. European Security, Vol. 61, Nos. 3-4, pp. 329-355.
- (2006): The Impact of EuropeanIntegration in the EU-Russia Relations. Market Without Frontiers, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 46-74.
- (2015): Rethinking Energy Security: An Inter-paradigmatic Debate. ELIAMEP Policy Papers 24.
- (2014): EU-Russia Energy Relations after the Crisis in Ukraine. Working Paper, The Koufa Foundation, November 2014.
- (2013): Re-conceptualising the Energy and Security Complex in the Eastern Mediterranean.Geopolitics of Energy, OGEL 3.
- (2013): Re-conceptualising the Energy and Security Complex in the Eastern Mediterranean.Geopolitics of Energy, OGEL 5.
- Frangonikolopoulos, Ch. - Proedrou, Filippos (2012): Seizing the Middle Ground: Cosmopolitan Democracy, its Critique and Possible Steps Forward for Global Governance. GR:EEN WorkingPaper No. 27.
- Hazakis, H. - Proedrou, Filippos(2012): EU-Russia Energy Diplomacy: The Need for an Active Strategic Partnership. EU Diplomacy Paper, No. 04/2012, College of Europe.
- (2010): EU Energy Security and Russia: A Re-conceptualization of Threats and Policy Priorities. ELIAMEP Thesis, No. 2/2010.
- (2009): Greek Energy Security Policy: The Greek Stand within the Framework of the EU Energy Policy and Security of Supplies Policy. ELIAMEP Working Paper, No. 4.
- (2008): The Interplay of Liberalism and Realism in the Balkans: Real(ist) Problems and Liberal Prescriptions. In: Paraskakis, I. and Luneski, A. (eds.): Infusing Research and Knowledge in South-East Europe - Proceedings of the 3rd Annual South-East European Doctoral StudentConference (vol. 1). Thessaloniki: SEERC, June 2008, pp. 341-351.
Publications in the press and non-academic journals
- (2015): The Quest for Sustainability: Energy, Trade and the Economy. Modern Diplomacy, 21 April 2015.
- (2014): Russian Energy Strategy, the Opening to Asia and the Outlet for the EU. Modern Diplomacy, 10 June 2014.
- (2013):European Gas Security and Global Energy and Environmental Trends: No Business as Usual?. Maritime Economies, No. 31.